This is a column I think you will find informative—Greg
My “Autism Without Fear” column has found a new home. It will reside now (and likely increase frequency) with the wonderfully inventive “Sinkhole
.” They were at the top of my list of 8 appropriate venues for the column, so I’m thrilled. Thanks to the Huffington Post for four great years.
There will be one more AWF column that will appear in Exceptional Parent Magazine within the next month (a large one on travel) and two reprints of past AWFs, including the recent, large piece on Peer Support in Schools
; but thereafter Sinkhole is home. I’ve signed the lease and can’t wait to decorate. They’re creative, (dare I say it) hip, and they’re supportive of that so-elusive blend of critical thinking and “uncontrarian” guts. Please enjoy checking them out.
Lotsa great articles since my last message to y’all have accumulated. My apologies (blame contract-hunting season).
• So cool…we had LOTS of great international coverage on autism since my last missive…
, an intro (give them time to learn more humanist lingo)
, gorgeous paintings by an LCSW inspired by her spectrum clients
, a Shanghai café helps spectrum teens integrate
• And on that shamelessly self-promotional note I’ll also now be the plenary lots of talks with Australia’s Autism West
at their conference
this coming November. If in Perth at that time, come watch me fall off a surfboard!
• The Darius McCollum saga is coming to a close
, and the ending could be a relief, or it could be the most horrific ending imagineable for a gregarious, smart, kind man. Why NY prosecutors are this vengeful about a non-violent offender is beyond almost all of us. Fingers crossed.
• I met Prue Stevenson when I spoke in Sydney, Australia, last September, and she shared this project with me. Prue is true 🙂 She is re-opening the discussion about stimming, and her film “Stim Your Heart Out
” should broaden the conversation ever outward.
• With thanks to Barry Prizant, New Wearable
Detects Meltdowns (I know, I know…) Before They Happen.
• We are now at 1 in 59
!!! Go cry, mourn, celebrate, denounce…whatev. And then wait for the results after real studies of race, long-term institutionalizations, or long-term incarcerations.
Michael John Carley
Author, School Consultant, Founder of GRASP